October 28, 2019
Teacher Feature: Jonathan Rymer
Introducing the first ever Minnesota State TCOE Teacher Feature! Constantly, we are inspired by all the exciting and interesting people we meet through our work and have decided to use our platform to shine a spotlight on some of the amazing educators Minnesota has!
// Jonathan Rymer
TRUCK DRIVING PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR
RIVERLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE | AUSTIN, MN
Jonathan lives in Austin, MN with his wife and two children. He strives to develop a noteworthy program and works to have drivers recognized as professionals in the industry and hopes to have more people learn what a great career truck driving can offer.
My goal is to improve highway safety one driver at a time. The best part of my job is hearing from the students about the difference this career choice has made in their lives. Each day it is important for me to help students reach their fullest potential and support their interest in this career.
– Jonathan Rymer
With a wide variety of students who participate in his program, the best part for Jonathan is seeing the same passion and excitement that he has for the industry coming from the class. In addition, seeing the amazing progress and growth that his students make during their 3 months of training is very rewarding.
Areas of Expertise:
- Federal transportation industry safety regulations
- State transportation industry safety regulations
Education and Credentials:
- Certified Heavy Vehicle Driver Trainer Assessor
- Class A CDL with hazardous materials, doubles, triples, tanker, and passenger endorsements
- Bachelor of Arts in Spanish with a Minor in Business from the University of Tennessee at Martin
- Over 3 million accident free miles driven as a professional driver with various companies hauling a variety of materials (dry van, refrigerated, liquid and bulk tanker, driveways of all types)
- Adjunct Spanish instructor at Tennessee Technological University
- Bi-lingual case manager
- Interim terminal manager for Sentinal Transportation in Old Hickory, TN
- Minnesota Trucking Association
- National Association Of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools
- Women in Trucking
Some of the most interesting things he has hauled include:
- $1 million dollars’ worth of steaks from Nampa, Idaho to 4 different delivery locations in the Los Angeles area,
- a load of loose bulk potatoes in a 53’ trailer (unpackaged) from Colorado to New Orleans.
Since 2012, Jonathan has enjoyed transporting new fire trucks from various manufactures to destinations all around the US and Canada. He frequently takes trucks to the port of Baltimore that are bound for international destinations.
If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
A. Breakfast – Country ham, eggs, hash brown casserole (Just drop me off at Cracker Barrel)
What are your hobbies?
A. Traveling, RC cars/trucks, finding great deals on rare cars, fishing, personal finance
What are two of your pet peeves?
A. People who follow too closely while driving (tailgate), lack of work ethic
Do you love or hate rollercoasters?
Do you collect anything?
A. 1:18th scale die-cast model cars
What song would you say best sums you up?
A. On the Road Again
How many languages do you speak?
A. 2-I have a degree in Spanish